Nikko Tosho-gu Shrine
Nikko City, Tochigi Prefecture
This shrine is a popular tourist destination and it was registered as World Heritage Site in 1999.
It enshrines Tokugawa Ieyasu, the first Shogun of the Edo-period, and most of the present-day shrine structures were built in 1617 by the third generation Shogun, Tokugawa Iemitsu.
The splendid buildings are lacquered and decorated with rich colors. These decorations express religious belief system, scholar and ideology, and the most famous are the three monkeys who do not see, hear nor say – which play with words saru(monkey) and zaru (does not – negation of a word). For example, kikazaru means not to hear but having saru (monkey) holding its ears make it clear that pun is intended.
The New Treasure House
This building was inaugurated in 2015, as project to celebrate Nikko Tosho-gu Shrine’s 400th year anniversary. On this treasure house, MIGUMO rain chain from our company is installed.
The building is constructed with Nikko pines and many of Lord Ieyasu’s cherished articles, gifts and festival equipment are exhibited inside the building.